The fall is a busy time for both parents and children. Knowing some nutritious and delicious snacks that you can whip up quickly is important during a crazy day. Try these smart, on-the-go options the next time you need a quick snack!
- Nutty Trail Mix- Combine a mix of raisins, peanuts, almonds, dried cranberries and your choice of cereal, pretzels, crackers, etc. for a protein-rich on-the-go snack. Feel free to add what you have on hand such as any nuts or seeds, dried fruit, popcorn and more. Watch your portions though as nuts and dried fruit can be high in calories. Make the mix on Sunday and package it in snack bags for the week so you’ll be able to quickly grab one as you run out the door.
- Fruit salad- Slice up whatever fruits you have on hand and take to-go portions in a storage container. Some great options are peaches, nectarines, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, plums and cherries. Fruit is rich in vitamins and fiber and can be easily eaten in a hurry. If you want some additional protein, have a cheese stick on the side.
- Vegetables and hummus- Hummus is a filling, nutritious snack especially when combined with vegetables. Pair it with your choice of sliced bell peppers, cucumbers, carrots, celery or other crunchy veggies. These options are easy to eat when on-the-go and help you meet your daily vegetable requirements.
- Fruit smoothies- Combine your favorite fruits such as peaches, cherries, blueberries or raspberries and blend with your choice of Greek yogurt, milk, tea or ice. To get a boost of greens and extra nutrition, throw in a handful of baby spinach. And for even more nutrients, throw in some flax, chia or hemp seeds for protein, fiber and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Yogurt with fruit and granola- Top your favorite yogurt (Greek yogurt is a great choice because it is more filling due to the high protein content) with your choice of fresh or frozen fruit, granola, cereal or try adding cut up pieces of your favorite Balance Bar® for some added protein and goodness. This can be eaten quickly and is a favorite among kids!
Of course, to make things even easier, but no less delicious, you can always grab a Balance Bar®. Keep a stash in your desk drawer at work and in the pantry at home so you ’re ready whenever those snack cravings hit!
Amanda Hernandez writes awesome articles as a paid spokesperson for Balance Bar®. There are also free samples involved (a Balance® bare Mixed Berry Nut or two goes a long way), so…best job ever?