This year, try sharing the spirit of the season with a focus on personal health and fitness.I bet everyone on your gift list would truly appreciate receiving a gift that will help them look, feel, or perform better.So challenge yourself this holiday season to think out of the box and find that perfect gift of health for your spouse, kids, parents, relatives, friends and neighbors.When you make it your “Healthy Holiday Theme”, you’ll be surprised how easy it is to come up with ideal gifts for all of the unique personalities on your list and how appreciative they will be.
Below are several healthy gift ideas to get you started:
• Health/Fitness Bags - Instead of a basket that usually gets thrown away, replace the basket with a gym bag, backpack, or even a cool reusable shopping bag and fill it with personalized health and fitness goodies.
• Unique Health Foods - Stroll through your favorite health food store and look for unique 40-30-30 staples such as Balance Bar nutrition bars and whey protein powder. Consider some of our favorites such as coconut water, organic green tea, even a little bar of dark chocolate. Browse through the aisles for even more unique ideas like handmade soaps, paraben-free beauty products, organic eye pillows, vegetable wash, and reusable water bottles. You can also include gift cards to local health stores like Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, GNC, and Vitamin Shoppe.
• Books/CDs/DVDs - Everyone loves to try something new so you can also include healthy cookbooks, nutrition books and health magazines. Of course, one of my favorites to include is a copy of our book, The Formula, A Personalized 40-30-30 Weight Loss Program. You can also consider a meditation CD or nature sounds CD for those who would need a little calm in their life. For those who want the latest workout routines, check out the top selling DVDs. Some of my favorite new exercise DVD’s include “The Daily Method” and “The Bar Method”. They offer a unique combination of low-impact ballet work, core work, stretching and muscle elongating techniques that will reshape your body fast. Also consider Zumba, TRX, P90X, Insanity or 10 Minute Trainer or any of Jillian Michaels workouts, and of course Pilates and Yoga DVDs.
• Groupon Health Coupons - Another one of my favorites gifts to give as well as to receive are Groupon Coupons or others like them to local massages, pedicures, yoga classes, gym memberships, personal training sessions and healthy restaurants.
• Video Games - What! Video games might not sound healthy but the new trend is to make the games interactive by using your mind, body and soul. Some of our favorites are Brain Age, Wii Fit and The Moron Test. Try one of these and you’ll be hooked!
• Clothes - Most people love new workout clothes. Check out the “hottest” brands like Lululemon, Lucy, Under Armour and Hard Tail, just to name a few.
So this year forget the fruitcake and Santa sweaters and give the ultimate gift, the gift of health. Happy Holidays!
*Joyce Daoust is a Certified Nutritionist, Balance Bar® spokesperson and national best-selling co-author of THE FORMULA, A Personalized 40-30-30 Weight Loss Program