Oh the joys of changing seasons. No longer am I complaining about snow interrupting my training, instead it’s now lots and lots of rain. If you’re like me and don’t have a gym membership you can feel trapped inside during all of these rainy spring days.
Instead of using weather as an excuse to skip your workout, take your exercise indoors. You’ll stay warm and dry, plus it’ll be an opportunity to spice up your workout routine and try something different! If you normally run outside, an indoor workout could be the perfect time to focus on your core and strength training.
We know that summer bodies are made before the season starts, so now is the time to make sure that we are keeping a Balanced diet and staying active no matter what the weather decides. Here are 5 of my favorite exercises to do inside on a rainy day:
- Plank – This is a full body move, great for targeting your core. Start planking for 1 minute. As you get stronger, you’ll be able to plank for longer periods of time.
- Lateral raises- Stand on one foot and hold a 5-10lb weight in each hand (weight can vary based on your comfort level). Slowly lift up your arms to shoulder height then lower back down to your sides. After one set of reps, switch feet. This exercise not only works your upper body, but also forces you to focus on your core for Balance.
- Weighted lunges – This exercise can be done stationary or by lunging across a room. Again, use weights that you’re comfortable with. This move targets both your lower body and core stabilizing muscles.
- High Knees – Put on some of your favorite high energy music and start lifting those knees! If you have kids at home, this is an activity they can participate in so that the whole family gets a little cardio!
- Strength training– There are so many amazing strength training DVDs that you can do from the comfort of your living room. YouTube also has a variety of free workout videos for you to try while waiting out the rain.
While it’s great to get outside and go for a long run or hike, on days that weather interferes there are plenty of workout options that can be done inside. Strength training and working your core can help you burn more fat calories all day and can even help you reach your performance goals for endurance activities. Most importantly, you’ll be staying active!
*Rachel Steffen writes awesome articles as a paid spokesperson for Balance Bar®. We also send her delicious Balance Bar® products for free, so…best job ever? And speaking of deliciousness, check out the incredible new Sea Salt Caramel Nut Balance bare® bar.
Always consult your doctor before beginning any exercise program.