For the third year in a row, Fitness Magazine invited out the top healthy living bloggers in NYC for a day of learning and fun at the Mercedes Club on the Upper West Side.
As a Balance Bar® AmBARsador I was so excited to be a part of the event! As we waited to enter the gym I gave out Balance Bar® samples to bloggers who were super excited to try the new Balance bare® Sea Salt Caramel Nut flavor! It was the perfect snack to help them fuel up for the busy day ahead.
The day started with a great panel featuring Fitness Magazine Editor in Chief Betty Wong and renowned fitness leader Holly Rilinger.
Some of my favorite tips from the Holly include:
- Don't underestimate how good sleep is for your body Aim for at least 7 hours sleep every night .
- If you only have 30 minutes to workout, make sure you’re using that time to the fullest.
- Strength training is key. If you only have a short amount of time, lift weights. The calorie burn post workout will be worth it!
Next up we had a panel featuring Marci A. Goolsby, M.D. who practices at the Hospital for Special Surgery and deals with all sorts of athletic injuries on a daily basis.
Some great tips from Marci included:
- If an injury is causing you to run differently you should get it checked out immediately.
- Take time off after long races such as half marathons and full marathons. Your body needs at least a week to recover.
- Be extra careful with hip injuries. Get it checked out immediately as it could lead to more serious issues down the line.
Finally we had one of the hosts of the TV show The Chew Carla Hall join us to talk about cooking.
Here are some of the gems she shared about cooking:
- Don't be afraid to use healthy fats like olive oil with your meals.
- Be adventurous with your spices.
- If you’re looking to change up your Thanksgiving dinner, do it gradually. Start with sides and ease your family into change. You want to make sure your family is getting the Thanksgiving favorites they look forward to every year!
Finally it was time for everyone to visit sponsor booths! I had a great time telling all of my blogger friends (old and new) about all the yummy Balance Bar® flavors. I got to explain how the 40-30-30 nutrition principle (40% carbs, 30% dietary fat and 30% protein) could help them fuel up before a workout or help keep them satisfied during a long day of meetings. We also gave away a $100 gift card to Target to spend on fun fitness gear and, well, Balance Bar® products!.
All in all, I’d say the day was filled with great networking, awesome panelists, great food and tons of learning! Make sure to follow @BalanceBar on Twitter for more great lifestyle and nutrition tips!
* Schnelle Acevedo writes awesome articles as a paid spokesperson for Balance Bar®. We also send her delicious Balance Bar® products for free, so…best job ever? And speaking of deliciousness, check out the incredible new Sweet & Spicy Nut Balance bare® bar.