Like many of you, I am thrilled that spring is here! This winter has been one tough beast and I was ready for a change of pace. I tend to feel anew in the spring, everything feels so light and fresh after being cooped up all winter. The start of spring is a time to clean out my closets, switch out my winter jackets and of course, clean out my cupboards. My kitchen is at its best when it’s clutter-free and clear of any old foods and messes. I’m borderline obsessive about cleaning it, but I figure there are worse things to obsess over!
Courtesy of Balance Bar, I was able to chat with nationally recognized Registered Dietician Sharon Richter on her Spring Cleaning tips for your kitchen. She spoke to my obsessively organized heart with her cleaning wisdom. As a busy mom, finding the time to do a big cleaning overhaul can be impossible. One of the biggest takeaways from Sharon’s tips was to have portion controlled snacks on-hand and at the front of your pantry, so you can grab them and head out the door.
Here are my favorite portion controlled snacks for my kids:
- Snack bags with small handful of raisins mixed with raw almonds.
- Cheese sticks. All organic, super easy to carry and go and always a hit!
- Nutrition energy bars, like the Balance Bar products.
Some of my other personal tips for organizing my pantry for my family include:
- Keeping all kid snacks pre-portioned and in one Tupperware container. That way when they want a snack, they can choose one from the container.
- Have healthy meal additions like ground flax seeds or chia handy at all times. I keep a container of them in my refrigerator so that when I serve yogurt, cereal, oatmeal or even ice cream, I can add some "sprinkles" on top. The kids love it and I love that they are getting some great omega 3s.
- Cut up a Balance Bar and freeze it. I have a baggie of these little bits in my freezer so that when someone is craving a sweet I can satisfy their craving with a little something nutritious.
*Gia Alvarez is a paid spokesperson for Balance Bar®.