Is there a better time to raise a frothy glass of delicious, nutritious green smoothie than St. Patrick’s Day?
Whether you’re a green smoothie addict or just looking for nutritious snack ideas, you’re in luck because we’ve compiled our best tricks and favorite recipes just in time for your March 17 celebration.
First, let’s cover the basics.
If you’ve never had a green smoothie, you may wonder why anyone would ever ingest something that looks like that.
It’s because they’re not only a great way to enjoy a nutrition-packed snack (or meal!) on the go, but they’re also incredibly tasty (remind you of your favorite Balance Bar at all?)
The basic recipe for a green smoothie is:
- 1-2 cups leafy greens (hence the color and the name)
- 1 cup or so of fresh or frozen fruit
- A protein source
- An ingredient with healthy fat
- 1 cup or so of liquid
Try building your own
Mix and match ingredients to create your own smoothie recipe (or scroll down to our five faves below).
Once you have all your ingredients assembled, here are a few tips for taking them from food to froth.
- Use your liquid to get your smoothie to the consistency you want. Start with less and add as you go – but if you’re having trouble blending, a bit of extra liquid is a great place to start.
- Include something frozen for a cool, thick consistency. We’ve found that freezing our fresh fruit is a great way to be sure we always have delicious smoothie ingredients on hand (plus it keeps anything from going to waste!) In the off-season, you can also find great frozen fruits – as long as there’s no sugar added, the nutritional quality is often on par with fresh!
- Feel free to prep in advance and refrigerate. Thinking about starting your day with a green smoothie but aren’t quite a morning person? Blend it up the night before!
Our Top 5 Smoothie Combos
- Strawberry, banana, spinach, greek yogurt and milk
- Mango, banana, pineapple, kale, flax oil and almond milk
- Pineapple, banana, avocado, bok choy, protein powder and water
- Blueberries, peach, spinach, greek yogurt and almond milk
- Banana, peanut butter, spinach, greek yogurt and milk
Any one of these makes a great snack partner with a Balance Bar. (May we suggest Chocolate Mint Cookie Crunch?)
What are your favorite green smoothie recipes? Share them with us on Facebook!