Summer is definitely my favorite season! It’s a great time to get outside, soak up some healthy Vitamin D and workout outdoors with Mother Nature. It also means beach season …
Many of us tend to hibernate during cold winter months and don’t know how to get back into a balanced workout routine once warmer weather hits. That’s why I’m excited to partner with Balance Bar® for the “Balance Summer Shape-Up Challenge” to help us all move more, start eating a bit healthier and to feel good about ourselves while we enjoy summer by feeling our balanced best.
Here are some of my top tips for shaping up this summer:
- Take your workout outside. Outdoor workouts are challenging and refreshing so try paddle boarding, surfing, cycling, yoga in the park or group runs like a 5K.
- Eat seasonal fruits and veggies. Most fruits and veggies are at their peak during summer months and by eating them you’re adding more nutrients to your diet. Look to add a host of different colors to your meal with various fruits and vegetables. Try grilling vegetables (corn, eggplant or zucchini) for a delicious side to your dinner or add juicy fruits (blackberries, peaches and melon) to your morning breakfast.
- Find a buddy to workout with. By partnering with someone, you’re more likely to work out when you say you will and it’s also a great way to catch up with old friends. Some of my favorite “buddy workouts” include biking, outdoor dancing classes, canoeing, and of course, hiking (with a healthy picnic at the end!)
- Drink more “fun” water! It’s important to drink a plenty of water especially in the summer when you’re more prone to dehydration. I like to make infused water mocktails to make water more exciting and delicious and only adding 20 calories or less. Buy some fresh fruits, slice them up and add to your water. My favorite combinations are peaches and strawberries, strawberries and mint or cucumber and watermelon and you’ll want to drink it all day in fun infusers like these from the Ball® brand.
- Eat many small meals. When you eat smaller portions more frequently, your metabolic rate tends to be higher (meaning you can burn calories more easily). I always tell my clients to eat 5-6 small meals a day that are packed with nutrients, including a snack in between each meal with something like a Cookie Dough Balance Bar® which will keep you full longer and help curb your appetite. Balance Bar® is also a great snack to put in your purse or gym bag so you always have a nutritious snack on-hand and can avoid making those bad snack choices at that last minute and when on the go.
Looking for more tips? Don’t forget to visit the Balance Bar® Facebook page for a variety of 30-minute workouts, healthy eating tips and much more to help you succeed during the Balance Summer Shape-Up Challenge.
Holly Del Rosso*
*Holly Del Rosso is a paid spokesperson for Balance Bar