Did you know that June 14 marks National Strawberry Short Cake Day? Go ahead and pull out your baking supplies! This recipe is wholesome, calorie-conscious and oh, so delicious—you’ll want to celebrate all summer long.
For the Cake
- 1 1/3 cups whole wheat flower
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-5 cups ripe strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup honey
For the Yogurt Honey Cream
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup cold plain reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 1⁄4 cold cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon honey
Mix it Up:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8×8-inch baking pan.
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl, then add eggs, milk, oil, honey and vanilla. Stir until ingredients are well mixed.
- Pour batter into the greased pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- While cake is cooling, combine the Yogurt Honey Cream ingredients in a bowl, and beat with a mixer until you begin to see soft peaks.
- Cut the cooled cake into squares and plate.
- Top cake with a spoonful of Yogurt Honey Cream and fresh sliced strawberries.